Download the Where Do You Move? Lesson Plan!
Learn about different action verbs and review present and past tense through the Stages Learning Verb Cards
- Grammar (verbs and prepositions)
This lesson is ideal for any number of students, ideally for kindergarten - 2nd grade, or a beginning ELL student
- As a warm-up, review with students the definition of a verb - it is a word that tells about an action, what someone is doing. Hold up any one of the verb cards as a sample, and ask Can you ___? For example, pointing to Balance card, ask, “Can you balance?” Balance is a verb because it is something someone can do.
- If level appropriate, remind students that prepositions tell where a verb happens, such as at home, outside the room, in the kitchen.
- Spread out the verb cards on the table. Begin with a number of cards that is developmentally appropriate.
- Tell students a location, and emphasize the preposition. For example, you can say “in the background” or “in the kitchen.”
- Students should look for all the verbs that can be done in that location. You can reiterate the preposition by asking, for example, “Where do you bake?” The student should answer, “I bake in the kitchen.”
- For a more active variation of this lesson, you can choose to hide the verb cards around the classroom for students to search. Or, you can make a more competitive version of this activity by awarding points for the most cards found.